Tuesday, February 06, 2007

credit card hassles

Be sure and cancel your credit cards before you die. This is so priceless, and so easy to see happening, customer service being what it is today.

A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had been $0.00, now was somewhere around $60.00. A family member placed a call to Citibank. Here is the exchange:

Family Member: "I am calling to tell you she died in January."

Citibank: "The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply."

Family Member: "Maybe, you should turn it over to collections."

Citibank: "Since it is two months past due, it already has been."

Family Member:"So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?"

Citibank:"Either report her account to frauds division or Report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!"

Family Member: "Do you think God will be mad at her?"
(I really liked this part!!!!)

Citibank:"Excuse me?"

Family Member: "Did you just get what I was telling you about the part about her being dead?" ?
Citibank:"Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor." (Duh!)

Supervisor gets on the phone:
Family Member: "I'm calling to tell you she died in January."

Citibank:"The account was never closed and late fees and charges still apply." (This must be a phrase taught by the bank!)

Family Member: "You mean you want to collect from her estate?"

Citibank: (Stammering) "Are you her lawyer?"

Family Member: "No, I'm her great nephew."? (Lawyer info given)

Citibank: "Could you fax us a certificate of death?"

Family Member: "Sure." (Fax number is given)

After they get the fax:

Citibank: "Our system just isn't setup for death. I don't know what more I can do to help."

Family Member: "Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. I don't think she will care."

Citibank: "Well, the late fees and charges do still apply"
(What is wrong with these people?!?)

Family Member: "Would you like her new billing address?"

Citibank: "That might help."

Family Member: " Odessa Memorial Cemetery , Highway 129, Plot Number 69."

Citibank: "Sir, that's a cemetery!"

Family Member: "What do you do with dead people on your planet? (Priceless!!)

8 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger Four-Leaf K' lover said...

For some reason, I believe that was a true story. People can just be DUMB!!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

You know, there are days that you just can't catch a break from corporate America. B4T

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taxed to death and interest penalties into the afterlife. What will they think of next?

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to rent a tux and charge it to the deceased.

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my step-father died, my mother found out he had a credit card she didn't know of. It was in his name only and had been used for only business purchases.

They kept billing him and adding late fees. My mother offered to settle the account up to the last bill after his passing (when it was a small amount - $500), but was told only the account holder could close the account.

The check she sent them, and a copy of the death certificate, was returned with a statement telling her they would not accept anything but a full payment on the bill (then around $1000 or so).

She told them to collect from him, and provided his resting place's address. We recieved a call from the cemetary a few months later letting us know Discover was sending statements to their offices in care of my deaceased step-dad!?!?!?

They laughed when we told them what was going on and the statements stopped going ot them shortly after (we assume).

The last time we heard, from a collectio nagency, was that the amount owed was now over $5000.

Idiots.

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Working mother at Citibank, how did they make the list of the “Best 100 Companies for Working Mothers?
Please help us if you can along with the Senator

To: Senator Barbara Boxer, Feb. 18, 2007
Also: Jason J Chan,
1700 Montgomery Street, Suite 240
San Francisco, Ca.94111

Regarding your letter of February 5, 2007, thank you. You state that you will submit a formal inquiry to the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and that this may take up to 4-5 weeks. In that case I have taken the liberty to put together this binder as to hopefully speed up the process or maybe just so you have it to review.
In this binder I can show the Jeff Ursino was not fair and equal to all the employees and although others violated policy I am the only one he fired. Citibank did not follow their own policy much less that of the Ca. Labor laws and codes.
I don’t believe that Citibank has been honest with their clients as well as the DFEH and DOL.
Citibank did not submit a new statement regarding 11/15/05 to the DFEH and seem to stand behind their “ bad Information”. I worked the day they state I called in and supposedly stated that I would be out the rest of the week, not true. What else is branch 915, Jeff Ursino, Kathleen Munoz and their corporate attorneys in New York willing to lie about?
Please help us get to the truth about why Jeff really fired me. Why does Citibank stand behind Jeff and his lies and much more? The teller that left about $10,000.00 out is still working their and to my knowledge was not written up and yet this was worse for the bank than me just wanting to care for my daughter and having my doctor call in for me.
Jeff made error after error with the write ups and the firing procedure of Citibank. Why did Jeff Ursino and Citibank feel I wasn’t worthy of an exit interview? Why was I fired at home and not at my place of work? Why was I not given a verbal or informal warning as is Citibank policy?
Please go through or have someone review my notes and proof of their dishonesty. Please help us and all those wrongfully terminated by corporate America.. It is time for Corporate America ethics Reform. Senator Boxer if I had been a bad employee I would have just walked away but I wasn’t. I have letters from clients that truly appreciated me and my work and even Citibank has acknowledge that I was great for the Carmel branch, so why fire me and throw me out like yesterdays trash? Because Jeff Ursino just didn’t like me and was out to fire me from the moment he threaten me with job abandonment before I had ever missed a Saturday. Why? As I told Dr. Lowell and all the other doctors I have seen, “this just doesn’t make sense!” I have spent the past 14 months fighting for my rights, please help me and my family, we need more moms like me that want to be their for their children and teenagers are children.
I look forward to hearing from you, thank you so very much for writing back or at least someone from your office, thanks Jason J. Chan.
Sincerely,
Damari Stratford
1291 Ord Grove Ave, Seaside, Ca 93955-3119
Cell 831-236-0112 Home 831-583-9077 Fax 831-393-9464

God Bless Us All

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

from adrhall@bigfoot.com

Citibank literally appear to leave the offers of competitors, for dead. They are really missing out here, as a few taglines spring to mind...

"People are dying to remain a Citibank cardholder"

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From adrhall@bigfoot.com

It seems to literally leave the offers of competitors, for dead. They are really missing out here, as a few taglines spring to mind...

"People are dying to remain a Citibank cardholder"

"You can be dead certain Citibank will auto renew your credit cards"

The post death credit solution... Citibank need divine intervention -

Our Citibank, who art most leaven
Lending be thy game
Debts will become
If thy will be done
On earth and even in heaven.

Give us this day our daily cred
And forgive us late payments
As we forgive Citibank for incorrect billing

And let us of debts divest
And spare us from outrageous interest
For thine is the thiefdom, a 'shower' with a story
For ever unclever
AMEN

 

Post a Comment

<< Home